- The Lobby
- Extra Times
MAURITANIA: Al-Qaida claims French Mali hostage killed
A Mauritanian-based website said that al-Qaida’s North African branch has executed a French hostage in retaliation for France’s military intervention in northern Mali.
In Paris, a French Foreign Ministry official said the government is aware of the report and is investigating. The hostage’s father said he has not received confirmation of the death.
The Nouakchott Information Agency, or ANI, posted the report late Tuesday. The ANI website is frequently used by al-Qaida’s North African chapter to post messages. It was not possible to independently verify the execution claim.
Fifteen French people are captive in the region, among them a family of seven including four children who were seized in Cameroon a month ago. French troops launched a campaign in January to help Mali’s embattled government drive out Islamic militants who had seized control of the northern half of the country. The campaign has raised fears of retaliation against French citizens — especially the captives.
ANI quoted a man who identified himself as Ghairawani, a spokesman for al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, as saying the group’s fighters had executed one of the French hostages, Philippe Verdon, on March 10.
Verdon was kidnapped with another Frenchman, Serge Lazarevic, from their hotel room in Hombori in eastern Mali in November 2011. Their families have said they were in the region to study setting up a cement factory there. AP
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- THE BUZZ: Residents mark 500 years since Jorge Álvares’ arrival in China
- MAM to showcase tea culture relics
- Regional smog, local pollution
- UM research group proposes three housing policy models
- MACAU FOR THE PHILIPPINES: Concert to raise funds for typhoon victims tomorrow
- SOUTH AFRICANS in Macau: “Mandela represents integrity and forgiveness”
- Century-old theater to be renovated featuring Cantonese opera
- Coutinho demands housing units for civil servants
- Lawmakers raise doubts on civil responsibility regime
- Scholar calls for a computer learning center
- SJM charity auction and dinner raises MOP4.54m
- Lawmaker demands government explain info leak
- Macau airport receives satellite monitoring system
- Gov’t to adjust water price in 2014
- Two men defraud banks of tens of thousands