- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Protesters clash with police near Naples
Dozens of protesters clashed with police overnight yesterday in a town near Naples after they tried to block some rubbish trucks, as tensions in the region rise over this flashpoint issue.
Police dragged away women brandishing Catholic prayer rosaries, as some protesters threw rocks and bottles. Two trucks were set alight.
Angry local inhabitants say the local rubbish tip is already full and have said they will put a stop to plans to set up a second tip in the area.
Police said five people were detained and three policemen received light injuries in the clashes, which lasted into yesterday, an AFP photographer said.
The issue of waste disposal led to massive protests in 2007 and the business is interlinked with the local organised crime syndicate, the Camorra.
It is also politically sensitive as Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has promised to end the problem in the Campania region, where Naples is located.
The European Court of Justice earlier this year criticised Italy, saying it did not have an adequate system for waste disposal in the Naples region and warning that the problem was a risk to human health and the environment.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- Regional smog, local pollution
- UM research group proposes three housing policy models
- Coutinho demands housing units for civil servants
- Lawmakers raise doubts on civil responsibility regime
- MACAU FOR THE PHILIPPINES: Concert to raise funds for typhoon victims tomorrow
- Scholar calls for a computer learning center
- SOUTH AFRICANS in Macau: “Mandela represents integrity and forgiveness”
- Century-old theater to be renovated featuring Cantonese opera
- SJM charity auction and dinner raises MOP4.54m
- Lawmaker demands government explain info leak
- Macau airport receives satellite monitoring system
- Gov’t to adjust water price in 2014
- Two men defraud banks of tens of thousands
- Man jailed over online misconduct
- THE BUZZ: Stones tickets on fire