- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Swimming: World champ Dale Oen dies in Arizona
Alexander Dale Oen, a world champion swimmer who was one of Norway’s top medal hopes for the London Olympics, has died during a training camp in Flagstaff, Arizona. He was 26. Federation President Per Rune Eknes said Dale Oen died after suffering a cardiac arrest. In a statement, the federation said the 100 meter breaststroke world champion was found collapsed on the floor of his bathroom late Monday. He was taken to the Flagstaff Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
“We’re all in shock,” Norway Coach Petter Loevberg said. “This is an out-of-the-body experience for the whole team over here. Our thoughts primarily go to his family who have lost Alexander way too early.”
Hospital spokeswoman Starla Collins confirmed the death, but did not provide further details.
Dale Oen won the 100 breaststroke at the worlds in Shanghai last July and took silver at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- THE BUZZ: 8 kindergarten kids compete for one seat, group says
- Apple may be using shell company to register ‘iWatch’ in Macau
- SIN FONG: ANM accuses PSP of denying protestors legal assistance
- Stacey Kent bringing jazz in a balance of joy and melancholy
- 40 years since the Carnation Revolution Rui Veloso performs tonight bringing a taste of Portuguese rock to town
- Irregular work shifts may be related to obesity, expert says
- Exhibition displays achievement on Macau studies Macaology aims to help us “better understand ourselves”
- Subsidy beneficiaries have to repay IH millions for outdated info
- BRIEFS: Request for more space in Hengqin inspires HK
- DSEJ to legislate on students’ weekly exercise time
- Local museums to present series of activities in May
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct