- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Gomez’ late goal leads Bayern past Real 2-1
Mario Gomez scored in the 90th minute Tuesday to hand Real Madrid its first loss in the Champions league this season and give Bayern Munich a 2-1 win in a pulsating first leg of the semifinal between two sides with a combined 13 titles.
Gomez’s 12th goal of this year’s competition boosted Bayern’s hopes of becoming the first team to play the Champions League final at its own stadium and earn its fifth title.
Franck Ribery opened the scoring in the 17th minute for Bayern Munich and Mesut Oezil equalized in the 53rd.
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho called Gomez’s goal a “lucky punch” and said a draw would have been a fairer result.
Despite Real’s defeat, the away goal could be decisive for the nine-time champions. “It’s not a bad result but it means we have to win at home and turn it around,” Mourinho said. “It’s not the biggest turnaround in history but we still have to do it. We can achieve this. We are at home. Real plays to win, at home or away.”
“It was clear from the start that it would be an exciting, open game between two champion teams,” said Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes, who guided Real to the title in 1998. “In my opinion, we deserved to win and we beat a great team. We played with hunger, passion and ambition.”
Heynckes promised his team would continue to attack in Madrid.
The second leg is next week in Madrid.
Bayern now has 11 wins from 19 meetings between the great rivals — including nine from those 10 games in Munich.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on news-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- IN BROAD DAYLIGHT: Lawyer victim of vicious attack
- D. Pedro V stages stories of “body and farewell”
- Conference on EU-Asia Pacific relationship starts today
- IC selects 5 projects for academic research grants
- More than 40,000 request gov’t healthcare vouchers
- Free telecom services for World Telecom Day
- MOP20m to upgrade bus GPS system
- Pansy Ho promotes Global Tourism Economy Forum in Macau 2013
- Macau Open prize money increases
- Petitioners call for caution over employing non-local students
- Drug abuse among youths increases significantly
- 20th anniversary of the EU-Macau trade agreement - Piket: “A more diversified economy is a more sustainable economy”
- Q1: Package tours increase by 11.8 pct
- 20 workers feel unwell after inhaling tobacco fumes
- Democratic Action collects signatures for elections