- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Vettel was the quickest in a Formula One testing session
Michael Schumacher tried out his 2012 Mercedes for the first time Tuesday, setting the sixth fastest time in a Formula One testing session, well behind leader Sebastian Vettel’s Red Bull. Vettel, the two-time defending F1 champion, was the quickest at Catalunya Circuit with a lap of 1 minute, 23.265 seconds to finish nearly nine-tenths of a second ahead of seven-time champion Schumacher.
Nico Hulkenberg of Force India trailed Vettel by just under two-tenths of a second. Lewis Hamilton of McLaren and Daniel Ricciardo of Toro Rosso were next, with Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso edging out Schumacher for fifth. Lotus, meanwhile, abandoned the session with a chassis problem. “Not running this week has been a tough decision to take, but we feel that our choice is the right one,” said Lotus team principal Eric Boullier, whose outfit — the team formerly known as Renault — produced the fastest of the 2012 designs in the season’s first test at Jerez last week.
Bahrain holds F1 race
The head of an independent inquiry into Bahrain’s unrest expressed support for holding its Formula One race, saying it offers a chance for the divided country to come together “after all that happened in the last year.” Mahmoud Cherif Bassiouni sent the letter Sunday to Bahrain International Circuit chairman Zayed R Alzayani after tickets went on sale for the April 22 race. The letter was also sent to F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone. Bassiouni said the race was “a significant national event” which is of “great interest” to most people in the Gulf nation. Bahrain’s season-opening race last year was canceled because of Shiite-led demonstrations against the country’s Sunni rulers that have left at least 40 dead.
Mercedes used its 2011 car at the first test session in Jerez last week, and Schumacher’s initial feelings were “good” from his first drive in the F1 W03 Silver Arrow. “It’s certainly an improvement and we have worked hard on the areas we had defined last year,” said Schumacher, who is looking for a big improvement in the third season of his comeback. “For my part, I am eager to fight again, looking forward to the new season — and I can’t wait for it to begin.”
Sergio Perez was seventh despite his Sauber experiencing technical problems, while Vettel complained about his traction grip as cars become accustomed to Pirelli’s new batch of tires due to regulation changes.”It’s clear that the cars have less grip than last year, but we try to come back from that slowly,” Vettel said. “It’s difficult to judge where we are compared with the others right now. It’s all based on feeling, and the feeling I have inside the car at the moment is fine.” The season opens at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 18.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct
- RED STUDIO: Giving busy Macau a taste of performing and creative arts
- Survey finds majority of students lack reading habits
- MCTV entitled to compensation if concession not renewed
- AL vows for differentiated pensions for ex-top officials
- BRIEFS: 13th Plan to have chapter dedicated to SARs
- ATM network temporary shutdown affects locals both here and abroad
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program