- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Police smash HKD5.3 million scam
A 42-year-old man from Hong Kong who allegedly cheated a gaming room out of HKD5.3 million was caught by the Judiciary Police (PJ).
According to the PJ spokesman Chau Wai Kuong, the suspect, surnamed Ip, first obtained the personal information of a junket promoter from the ringleader. He then claimed himself as the junket promoter, called the telecom company and said to them that he had lost his mobile phone.
The company hence invalidated the previous phone number and issued a temporary number to the suspect.
During this period, the 42-year-old went to the gaming room and said it was the junket promoter who told him to come to take the HKD5.3 million gaming chips he stored there.
The accounting department called the victim for confirmation, yet the call was diverted to the temporary number and received by the suspect who allegedly pretended to be the junket promoter, the PJ said.
Since the ringleader requested the suspect to get cash instead of gaming chips, he returned to the casino to change them into cash. During which, police said the victim called the accounting department saying his phone number went invalid.
It was at this time the fraud was revealed.
Chau said the suspect got 6,000 patacas from the ringleader.
The PJ is tracking down the ringleader who they believe should also be from Hong Kong.
The suspect was sent to the Public Prosecutions Office yesterday pending pre-trial.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct
- RED STUDIO: Giving busy Macau a taste of performing and creative arts
- Survey finds majority of students lack reading habits
- MCTV entitled to compensation if concession not renewed
- AL vows for differentiated pensions for ex-top officials
- BRIEFS: 13th Plan to have chapter dedicated to SARs
- ATM network temporary shutdown affects locals both here and abroad
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program