- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Ninth ICIF: “Toy Block Pavilion” features Macau’s colorful cultural traditions
Macau is featuring its colorful cultural traditions and strong historic background in a huge structure assembled of tri-color toy blocks in one of the most attractive pavilions at the 9th China (Shenzhen) International Cultural Industries Fair (ICIF). The ICIF serves as an important platform for Macau’s cultural products to reach the mainland and international markets.
The ninth ICIF is being held from May 17 until today, in Shenzhen’s Convention and Exhibition Centre. In the opening ceremony of the Macau Pavilion, the Cultural Affairs Bureau (IC) unveiled its pyramid style structure made up of dozens of large cubic blocks in different sizes and geometrical shapes. The “toy blocks” are mostly printed in the three primary colours, yellow, red and blue as well as other colors derived from them.
“The vivid tone of the pavilion reflects the vibrant and colorful traditions of Macau culture, as well as the World Heritage City’s creativity and innovation in the cultural aspect,” the IC said in the ceremony. Showcased in the huge blocks on the lower deck of the pyramid are Macau’s cultural icons, including the World Heritage sites and the cultural products of 10 companies and associations in the creative industries, including Macau Creations, Lines Lab and MOD Design Store.
The pavilion’s unique style and colorful outfits attracted multitudes of visitors. Many told the media that they were impressed by the site design and products.
Yao Jing Ming, vice president of IC, said the event is one of the major platforms for Macau industry players to connect to professionals in the same field on the mainland and other countries, enabling them to share their creative experience and explore business opportunities.
“For example Macau is starting to develop animation and Shenzhen has plenty of experience in this field including the establishment of a national animation base, formulating policies to support the industry as well as a transformation mechanisms to help the whole sector upgrade itself,” he said, adding that the Macau authority will gradually roll out strategies and measures to support the creative and innovative industries and encourage the sectors to engage in more exchanges with overseas counterparts.
Hosted by the Ministry of Culture, the Ministry of Commerce and other organizations, ICIF boosts itself as “the only national-level, internationalized and integrated cultural industries fair in China,” committed to building the trade platform for China’s cultural industrial products and projects, promoting and driving the development of China’s cultural industries and actively advancing the globalization of Chinese cultural products.
Nine years after its commencement, ICIF’s exhibition area has grown from 43,130 square meters to 105,000 square meters, with the number of exhibitors increasing from around 700 to 1,928 this year. The turnover of this annual event has also grown from RMB35.7 billion to RMB143.5 billion.
According to the organizers, as many as 16,109 purchasers from 91 foreign countries and regions came to Shenzhen to browse and buy the products and services on display.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct
- RED STUDIO: Giving busy Macau a taste of performing and creative arts
- Survey finds majority of students lack reading habits
- MCTV entitled to compensation if concession not renewed
- AL vows for differentiated pensions for ex-top officials
- BRIEFS: 13th Plan to have chapter dedicated to SARs
- ATM network temporary shutdown affects locals both here and abroad
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program