- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Luís Carreira dies in MGP qualifying session
Portuguese motorcycle rider Luís Carreira has died following a crash during yesterday’s qualifiers for the Motorcycle Grand Prix. The 35-year-old rider was Portuguese champion several times and had participated in the Macau race on seven occasions.
He crashed at Fisherman’s Bend on the Guia circuit and his motorbike caught fire. No other riders were involved in the accident. Two doctors assisted Carreira, who was unconscious at the track, before being taken to São Januário hospital. He was declared dead about 20 minutes after arrival. The qualifying session was stopped after the incident and later abandoned.
The Benimoto/Rider/Cetelem rider finished forth in 2008 in the Guia circuit. He had a serious accident in 2011 that prevented him from participating in last year’s Macau GP. The Grand Prix Committee held a press conference where the coordinator, João Manuel Costa Antunes, reaffirmed that the rider was given immediate medical assistance but, despite reanimation efforts, succumbed to his injuries. The MSAR government will “give all the support to the family” in dealing with the repatriation of Carreira’s body to Portugal for burial. “The MSAR government will take care of all the costs”, he said.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on news-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- IN BROAD DAYLIGHT: Lawyer victim of vicious attack
- D. Pedro V stages stories of “body and farewell”
- Conference on EU-Asia Pacific relationship starts today
- IC selects 5 projects for academic research grants
- More than 40,000 request gov’t healthcare vouchers
- Free telecom services for World Telecom Day
- MOP20m to upgrade bus GPS system
- Pansy Ho promotes Global Tourism Economy Forum in Macau 2013
- Macau Open prize money increases
- Petitioners call for caution over employing non-local students
- Drug abuse among youths increases significantly
- 20th anniversary of the EU-Macau trade agreement - Piket: “A more diversified economy is a more sustainable economy”
- Q1: Package tours increase by 11.8 pct
- 20 workers feel unwell after inhaling tobacco fumes
- Democratic Action collects signatures for elections