- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Ruben Cabral leaves USJ, Peter Stilwell takes over
Professor Ruben de Freitas Cabral resigned as rector of the University of Saint Joseph for “personal reasons” last week, he told the Macau Daily Times yesterday.
“I’m going to enter into a sabbatical period by the end of this month,” said Professor Cabral. Afterwards, he will re-assume his position as full professor at the Catholic University of Portugal (UCP), in Lisbon.
MDT also learned that Professor Peter Stilwell, vice-rector of the UCP, will take over as rector of the University of Saint Joseph from May 2.
The outgoing rector started his job at the helm of USJ (then IIUM) in 2003. Over almost 10 years, the university has changed from a post-graduate institute into a fully-fledged university by introducing undergraduate studies. Regarded as a liberal arts university, USJ grew from a few hundred students to the current 1,800 and to more than 100 faculty and staff during his tenure.
Prof. Cabral launched and oversaw the project development of the new campus in Ilha Verde on a Macau Diocese plot of land, but its construction was affected by constant delays due to financing issues.
MDT will publish an exclusive interview with Dr Cabral in our Monday edition.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- THE BUZZ: Residents mark 500 years since Jorge Álvares’ arrival in China
- MAM to showcase tea culture relics
- Expert warns of approaching haze threat
- UM research group proposes three housing policy models
- MACAU FOR THE PHILIPPINES: Concert to raise funds for typhoon victims tomorrow
- SOUTH AFRICANS in Macau: “Mandela represents integrity and forgiveness”
- Century-old theater to be renovated featuring Cantonese opera
- Coutinho demands housing units for civil servants
- Lawmakers raise doubts on civil responsibility regime
- Scholar calls for a computer learning center
- SJM charity auction and dinner raises MOP4.54m
- Lawmaker demands government explain info leak
- Macau airport receives satellite monitoring system
- Gov’t to adjust water price in 2014
- Two men defraud banks of tens of thousands