- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Joint 2023 bid talk ‘premature’
It’s still too early to discuss the possibility of the MSAR jointly hosting the 2023 Asian Games with Hong Kong and Shenzhen, the vice-president of the Sports Development Board (IDM), José Tavares, told Macau Daily Times.
On Tuesday the Hong Kong deputy secretary for Home Affairs, Jonathan McKinley, said the government would welcome a shared bid with Shenzhen and Macau, an idea first mentioned by the Olympic Council of Asia earlier this month.
“No one has contacted us over this issue,” Tavares said. And, asked if IDM would be interested in this opportunity, he said “it would have to be cautiously discussed and well thought”.
Although Macau has organised the 2005 East Asian Games and the 2007 Indoor Asian Games, Tavares stressed that the Asian Games are a much bigger event and that a joint bid would need the support from three different governments.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct
- RED STUDIO: Giving busy Macau a taste of performing and creative arts
- Survey finds majority of students lack reading habits
- MCTV entitled to compensation if concession not renewed
- AL vows for differentiated pensions for ex-top officials
- BRIEFS: 13th Plan to have chapter dedicated to SARs
- ATM network temporary shutdown affects locals both here and abroad
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program