- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Joint 2023 bid talk ‘premature’
It’s still too early to discuss the possibility of the MSAR jointly hosting the 2023 Asian Games with Hong Kong and Shenzhen, the vice-president of the Sports Development Board (IDM), José Tavares, told Macau Daily Times.
On Tuesday the Hong Kong deputy secretary for Home Affairs, Jonathan McKinley, said the government would welcome a shared bid with Shenzhen and Macau, an idea first mentioned by the Olympic Council of Asia earlier this month.
“No one has contacted us over this issue,” Tavares said. And, asked if IDM would be interested in this opportunity, he said “it would have to be cautiously discussed and well thought”.
Although Macau has organised the 2005 East Asian Games and the 2007 Indoor Asian Games, Tavares stressed that the Asian Games are a much bigger event and that a joint bid would need the support from three different governments.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- The Rolling Stones play Macau gig March 9, tickets on sale tomorrow
- Student dropout rate decreases
- Book depicting city’s colorful history launched
- Macanese launch projects to keep memories alive
- Venetian assures “no impact” on salaries due to employment transfer
- La Scala: architect refused to give out client’s name
- Fatal work accident in Seac Pai Van
- Central hospital pediatric emergency department relocated
- “Chá Gordo” to celebrate anniversary of Costa Nunes and APIM
- MUST Rector: “Education and Technology are Macau’s strengths”
- Court declares Reolian bankrupt
- AL committee questions gov’t department budgets
- MICE revenue up 54 percent in 2012
- Docomomo requests classification of Portuguese School building
- POLICY ADDRESS – Social Affairs and Culture: Gov’t to build over 40 care homes