- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Unpaid smoking fines could lead to visitor ban
The government is executing a territory-wide campaign to ban indoors smoking and in public places, and non-residents who break the rules and fail to pay the fine will be barred from re-entering the city.
Authorities released figures on the first month of enforcing the smoking ban, with 260 fixed-fine penalty tickets (MOP 600 each) issued to smokers who violated the new law aimed at improving air-quality in the city.
But the official statistics also showed that only around 60 percent of the law-breakers had paid the fine, while the remaining 40 percent were yet to face the music.
The government said that all outstanding tickets exceeding the payment deadline would be transferred to the Finance Bureau, which would then enforce a compulsory levy arrangement. Non-residents fleeing the city without shouldering the fine will be barred from re-entering it.
According to the statistics, most the rule-breakers were males and all penalty tickets were issued without violent incidents. But the authority did not provide a breakdown on the number of residents and non-residents who were fined in the past month.
The Health Bureau officers issued most the tickets, while 41 of them (or 15.8 percent) were issued by police officers. During last month a total of 18,760 venues were inspected.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct
- RED STUDIO: Giving busy Macau a taste of performing and creative arts
- Survey finds majority of students lack reading habits
- MCTV entitled to compensation if concession not renewed
- AL vows for differentiated pensions for ex-top officials
- BRIEFS: 13th Plan to have chapter dedicated to SARs
- ATM network temporary shutdown affects locals both here and abroad
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program