- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Median income rises
The median income of the employed population was reported at MOP 9,000 in the third quarter of this year, up MOP 500 compared to the preceding quarter, the official data showed.
In addition, according to the Census and Statistics Bureau, the median monthly employment earnings of local residents held stable for nine consecutive quarters at MOP 10,000.
For recreational, cultural, gaming and other services that accounted for the majority of the employed, the median income stood at MOP 12,000. Of which, that of the gaming industry in particular was reported at MOP 13,000.
Meanwhile, the bureau revealed that the total labour force was 329,600 in the third quarter of 2010, up by 3,300 over the preceding quarter. Of which, 9,400 were unemployed, an increase of 100.
Median age of the employed population was 40.2, with male and female accounting for 50.6 percent and 49.4 percent respectively.
Recreational, cultural, gaming and other services made up 24.3 percent of the employed population, followed by wholesale and retail trade at 13.4 percent, and hotels, restaurants and similar activities at 13.1 percent.
In terms of occupation, 26.7 percent were clerks – including casino dealers, floorpersons and betting service operators – 21.9 percent were service and sales workers and 20 percent were unskilled workers.
Of the 9,400 unemployed population in the reporting period, 81 percent had worked previously – mostly in the construction or wholesale and retail trade industry – and were searching for a new job, while the remaining 19 percent were fresh labour force entrants.
It has also been found that a large part of the unemployed at nearly 31 percent had only completed primary education or lower and 27 percent had junior secondary education.
The unemployment rate of the total labour force stood at 2.9 percent, but that of local residents was indicated at 3.5 percent.
The underemployed population totalled 5,400, representing an underemployment rate of 1.6 percent.
It was reported that almost 67 percent of them were engaging in construction, while 40 percent were unskilled workers.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program
- Gov’t to launch guidelines for water supply in residential buildings
- CE ELECTIONS: Electoral College voting procedure to take place across five locations
- BRIEFS: Concrete falls on Rua do Campo, one injured
- GAMING: Average daily run up 15 pct last week
- Increasing household income and the vanishing smiles
- France meets Asia in Justin Quek’s kitchen
- KW Director calls for universal healthcare insurance
- Australia continues to supply dogs to Macau Canidrome despite country ban
- BRIEFS: CE to answer questions in AL today
- Hac Sa Beach Labor Day Concert expects 10,000 attendees