- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Powell launches Olympic season with victory
Asafa Powell won the 50m at the US Open indoor athletics meeting on Saturday, then predicted the powerful Jamaican sprint squad could sweep the 100m podium at the London Olympics.
“Yes, it is very possible,” Powell said after clocking 5.64sec to win the 50m at Madison Square Garden, edging compatriot Nesta Carter who was second in 5.67sec.
American Trell Kimmons was third in 5.68, followed by compatriot Justin Gatlin in 5.71.
“Surely it [a Jamaican Olympic sweep] can be done,” said Powell, a former world record-holder whose career has been overshadowed by countryman Usain Bolt, with yet another Jamaican, Yohan Blake, rising to prominence last year and gaining the No. 1 world ranking over 100m.
“We have some amazing runners,” added Powell, who was making his first indoor appearance since 2004.
Jamaica’s women are gearing up for big things at the London Games as well.
Veronica Campbell-Brown won the women’s 50m in 6.08, in what she said was a stepping-stone performance for her bid to win a third consecutive Olympic 200m gold at London.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct
- RED STUDIO: Giving busy Macau a taste of performing and creative arts
- Survey finds majority of students lack reading habits
- MCTV entitled to compensation if concession not renewed
- AL vows for differentiated pensions for ex-top officials
- BRIEFS: 13th Plan to have chapter dedicated to SARs
- ATM network temporary shutdown affects locals both here and abroad
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program