- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Powell launches Olympic season with victory
Asafa Powell won the 50m at the US Open indoor athletics meeting on Saturday, then predicted the powerful Jamaican sprint squad could sweep the 100m podium at the London Olympics.
“Yes, it is very possible,” Powell said after clocking 5.64sec to win the 50m at Madison Square Garden, edging compatriot Nesta Carter who was second in 5.67sec.
American Trell Kimmons was third in 5.68, followed by compatriot Justin Gatlin in 5.71.
“Surely it [a Jamaican Olympic sweep] can be done,” said Powell, a former world record-holder whose career has been overshadowed by countryman Usain Bolt, with yet another Jamaican, Yohan Blake, rising to prominence last year and gaining the No. 1 world ranking over 100m.
“We have some amazing runners,” added Powell, who was making his first indoor appearance since 2004.
Jamaica’s women are gearing up for big things at the London Games as well.
Veronica Campbell-Brown won the women’s 50m in 6.08, in what she said was a stepping-stone performance for her bid to win a third consecutive Olympic 200m gold at London.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- THE BUZZ: Stones tickets on fire
- Inflation strangling residents’ happiness: No satisfaction
- CCAC Complaints against criminal activities surge 20 pct in 2012
- Housing unit sales drop by 58 pct
- A DECADE OF ANIMAL RIGHTS PROTECTION: Anima turns ten
- Journalism faces unique challenges in Macau
- Simulation investment contest entered by nearly 600 college students
- Media award to promote local productions
- LA SCALA trial Legal issue prevented sale of five land lots
- PHOTOSHOP: Bringing Christmas joy to mentally handicapped children
- Macau-licensed cars soon to land on Hengqin
- Three samples from Shenzhen wet markets test positive for H7N9
- Rising number of homosexual HIV cases
- HUMAN RIGHTS IN GREATER CHINA: EU diplomats discuss Macau’s situation at meeting in Hong Kong
- Tri-color glazed pottery exhibition to feature glorious Tang Dynasty