- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Valentine wedding for deer and ram
A Chinese zoo is to hold a Valentine’s Day wedding for a male sheep and a female deer whose unconventional relationship captured the public imagination, the official Xinhua news agency said yesterday.
Visitors have flooded to the wildlife park in the southwestern province of Yunnan to see the sheep, whose Chinese name Changmao means long hair, and the deer, Chunzi (pure), after zookeepers revealed online that the pair had begun mating.
The wildlife park is to issue 500 special tickets, at 66 yuan (around USD 10) apiece, for the occasion, the state-run China News Service reported.
But experts warned against attaching human qualities to animals.
“Leaving them alone is the best choice,” Xinhua quoted biologist Wang Dajun as saying.
School take tardy pupils to police
Pupils who arrive late for school in South Africa’s Soweto township will be taken to a police station and their parents will be called to fetch them, the local education department said yesterday.
“It’s time for things to change. From tomorrow, anyone arriving late will be taken to the Jabulani police station,” Barbara Creecy, head of education for Gauteng province, told pupils at the Lavela Secondary School.
“We will then call your parents to come and collect you.”
About 700 pupils – 60 percent of the student body – and multiple teachers arrived late for classes Monday when Creecy paid a surprise visit to the school, her office said in a statement.
Many of the latecomers arrived between 30 and 60 minutes late for the 7:50 am bell, it said.
Creecy did not say whether tardy teachers would also be taken to the police.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- THE BUZZ: Residents mark 500 years since Jorge Álvares’ arrival in China
- MAM to showcase tea culture relics
- Regional smog, local pollution
- UM research group proposes three housing policy models
- MACAU FOR THE PHILIPPINES: Concert to raise funds for typhoon victims tomorrow
- SOUTH AFRICANS in Macau: “Mandela represents integrity and forgiveness”
- Century-old theater to be renovated featuring Cantonese opera
- Coutinho demands housing units for civil servants
- Lawmakers raise doubts on civil responsibility regime
- Scholar calls for a computer learning center
- SJM charity auction and dinner raises MOP4.54m
- Lawmaker demands government explain info leak
- Macau airport receives satellite monitoring system
- Gov’t to adjust water price in 2014
- Two men defraud banks of tens of thousands