- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Beijing says Russia, Arab plan on Syria is ‘positive’...
China yesterday welcomed a Russian and Arab League joint plan for ending the deadly violence in Syria as “positive”, and renewed its call for a “political settlement” to the conflict.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Arab counterparts on Saturday issued a five-point statement after holding talks in Cairo, calling for “unhindered humanitarian access” in Syria as well as an end to the violence.
They also agreed on setting up a mechanism for “objective monitoring” in the country and agreed on no foreign intervention, according to a statement read out by Lavrov and Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim Al-Thani.
“We believe that the five-point plan reached between Russia and the Arab League is of relevant and positive significance to the political resolution of the Syrian issue,” foreign ministry spokesman Liu Weimin told reporters.
“We hope the international community will continue to make positive efforts for the fair, peaceful and proper solution of the Syrian issue.”
Earlier this month China unveiled its own six-point plan, calling for an immediate end to the conflict and for dialogue between President Bashar al-Assad’s regime and the opposition.
Beijing’s proposal also rejected foreign interference or “external action for regime change” in Syria but supported the role of the UN Security Council “in strict accordance with the purposes and principles of the UN charter.”
The West and the Arab world have been piling pressure on Assad’s regime to prevent a year-old uprising from spiralling into all-out civil war.
Beijing and Moscow have drawn heavy criticism for using their veto powers as permanent members of the UN Security Council to block resolutions condemning the crackdown, because they singled out Assad for blame.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on news-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- The thunderstorm: Highest rainfall record since 1982
- A rare day at the AL: New Macau proposal to debate Coloane accepted almost unanimously
- SJM & Sands CFOs optimistic about gaming revenue: “Safe forecast” - USD80-100 billion by 2020
- G2E Macau needs to rebrand to re-attract switchers
- Table cap supports e-table games
- “Chinoiserie” to celebrate Macau Museum’s 15th anniversary
- Local artists to talk about New York trip
- ARTM’s new campaign to fight AIDS stigma
- Interview with wine expert João Paulo Martins: Portuguese wines have “space for a huge growth”
- “Art Macao” expo aims to be new cultural brand
- Global Gaming Expo Asia 2013: Fahrenkopf - Macau should not fear competitors
- Green activist delivers public petition to AL
- Gov’t under attack for plan to allow non-local students to work in Macau
- AL passes first presale law despite imperfections
- THE INDIAN MAFIA IS COMING TO TOWN - report A haven for Indian bookies