- The Lobby
- Extra Times
China paper accuses West of fueling Syria unrest
An influential Chinese newspaper said yesterday, the western support for Syrian rebels could bring on civil war in the violence-hit nation and defended Beijing’s decision to veto a UN resolution.
China’s People’s Daily hold in a front-page commentary that the UN Security Council resolution, which condemned a crackdown on protesters by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, would have cornered Damascus and led to worse violence.
The writer and director of the China Institute of International Studies Qu Xing said, “If Western nations continue to fully support Syrian opposition forces as they appear to be doing now, then in the end a large scale civil war will erupt. If this happens then the possibility of armed foreign intervention will be unavoidable.”
According to China, which has twice joined Russia in blocking UN Security Council condemnation of the Damascus regime’s crackdown, it is absolutely necessary that “calm be restored as quickly as possible”, state television reported.
As a result of blocking the latest UN Security Council resolution and condemning the bloody crackdown in Syria, China and Russia have faced a wave of criticism, including from Arab nations with which Beijing normally has good ties.
Last week, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhai Jun called for all sides to stop the violence and elections to go ahead during his travel to Damascus where he met up with Assad.
But at the same time Zhai, whose visit coincided with some of the worst violence to date in the flashpoint central city of Homs, said Beijing opposed armed intervention and forced “regime change” in Syria.
Within nearly a year of upheaval in Syria More than 6,000 people have died, as Assad’s regime seeks to eliminate a revolt that began with peaceful protests in March 2011 amid what is know as the Arab Spring. On Wednesday Assad called a constitutional referendum for later this month that would effectively end nearly 50 years of single-party rule, which critics see as a move aimed at mitigating the growing global outrage over his violence.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on news-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- Ninth ICIF: “Toy Block Pavilion” features Macau’s colorful cultural traditions
- SJM’s Cotai project to merge with Angela Leong’s theme park
- Signature campaign aims to preserve Coloane green belts
- Conference-dinner in Grand Lapa Hotel Europe “living a Sicilian situation” - austerity a “false solution”
- Construction waste found in drain at Taipa LRT site
- Harsher penalties suggested on drug dealing solicitation
- Local companies sign cooperation protocols in Chongqing
- The “Invisible Gateway” to Pedro Besugo’s artistic world
- A cultural exhibition without road closure, Xi-style continues
- Central medical record database to be built in two years
- World Vision Macau holds famine activity
- Old grenade found near ‘San Malou’
- ‘Macau Scam’ suspects sent to immigration detention center
- Four Macau entries in Daily Meal’s 101 Best Restaurants in Asia
- IFT students raise MOP 55,000 for charity