- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Hong Kong’s Fung Brands buys fashion house Sonia Rykiel
Hong Kong investment firm Fung Brands has bought 80 percent of French fashion house Sonia Rykiel in a partnership aimed at boosting the brand’s global presence, the companies said on Monday. “The partners want to develop the company as a true international luxury brand,” they said in a joint statement.
The Rykiel family will retain a 20 percent stake and the founder’s daughter, Nathalie Rykiel, will remain vice president of the board, it said. Known for its knitwear and founded in 1968, Sonia Rykiel was one of the last family controlled French fashion houses. The company had sought a potential partner since early 2011 but originally intended to sell off only a minority stake. Financial details were not disclosed.
Fung Brands was started a year ago by the Fung family, the majority shareholder of Hong Kong’s Li & Fung Group, and previously acquired majority stakes in French luxury shoemaker Robert Clergerie and Belgian leather goods maker Delvaux. Fung Brands director Jean-Marc Loubier said he hoped to double Sonia Rykiel’s sales in the next five to six years after the brand saw sales stagnate in 2011 after chalking up 90 million euros ($119 million) in 2010. The company makes half its sales abroad and distributes its products in 30 countries.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- CE meets Chinese President and Premier
- Survey finds residents’ happiness index lowest in four years
- Macau to carry out decade blueprint for developing recycled water
- IH hands out more than 27,000 application forms
- MCTV REPORT: “It’s fundamental to right the wrongs” in TV services
- Nok and Scoot plan new airline
- Pro-democracy rally to continue on handover anniversary
- Middle class don’t know what gov’t has done for them
- UM professor and activist accused of disciplinary violations
- Mainland-Macau joint research fund set to open for applications
- Voluntary teaching trip to depart tomorrow
- Budget implementation report gets green light
- TODAY: Coldest day of the year, weather authority estimates
- MDT report: The less privileged and their outcry for equality in public spaces
- Chief Executive salary hike approved amidst controversy