- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Taiwan to relax rules on banking investment
Taiwan is set to ease restrictions on local banks investing in China in a bid to boost their competitiveness on the mainland, the government said yesterday.
The cabinet amended a law on cross-strait banking this week to remove a rule barring local banks and financial holding companies from investing in more than one Chinese financial institution, said the Financial Supervisory Commission.
Taiwanese banks will also be able to open up both branches and subsidiaries in addition to acquiring stakes in their Chinese counterparts, it said in a statement.
Their offshore banking units will also be allowed to expand lending business to Chinese individuals or institutions, instead of only serving Taiwanese or foreign businesses, it said. The new rules are expected to take effect within one month.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct
- RED STUDIO: Giving busy Macau a taste of performing and creative arts
- Survey finds majority of students lack reading habits
- MCTV entitled to compensation if concession not renewed
- AL vows for differentiated pensions for ex-top officials
- BRIEFS: 13th Plan to have chapter dedicated to SARs
- ATM network temporary shutdown affects locals both here and abroad
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program