- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Prisoners take policemen hostage
Dozens of inmates have taken two policemen and a prison worker hostage in southern Pakistan in a protest against plans to transfer them to other jails, the provincial prisons chief said yesterday.
Some 1,200 inmates at Larkana prison, 350 kilometres (217 miles) northeast of Karachi, were being moved to other facilities on the high court’s orders to allow for repairs at their jail, Ghulam Qadir Thebo told AFP.
“The trouble started late Saturday when prisoners were being moved to other prisons of Sindh province. Some inmates refused to leave and clashed with police and jail staff,” Thebo said.
Some 450 prisoners remained in Larkana when a group of about 40 prisoners took two policemen and a prison worker hostage, demanding that all prisoners should return.
“We are negotiating the release of hostages,” Thebo said.
In March police killed seven inmates and wounded 20 during an operation to prevent a jail-break in a prison in the southern city of Hyderabad.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- China Music Awards: Cotai Arena stage packed with Chinese and international stars
- AL Plenary Lawmakers grill Florinda Chan over public servant contract bill
- Int’l market expansion group sees opportunity in town
- Luk Fook same-store sales in Macau and HK drop 12 pct
- RED STUDIO: Giving busy Macau a taste of performing and creative arts
- Survey finds majority of students lack reading habits
- MCTV entitled to compensation if concession not renewed
- AL vows for differentiated pensions for ex-top officials
- BRIEFS: 13th Plan to have chapter dedicated to SARs
- ATM network temporary shutdown affects locals both here and abroad
- Residents less than satisfied with environment
- Boxing ‘Featherweight Fury’ hits Macau with three world title fights
- MSAR asks Beijing for territorial waters and land from Hengqin
- AS REPORTED BY MDT: Neptune owner’s wife detained following tightened grip on junkets
- IFT and Dusit Thani College partner to organize exchange program