- The Lobby
- Extra Times
Prisoners take policemen hostage
Dozens of inmates have taken two policemen and a prison worker hostage in southern Pakistan in a protest against plans to transfer them to other jails, the provincial prisons chief said yesterday.
Some 1,200 inmates at Larkana prison, 350 kilometres (217 miles) northeast of Karachi, were being moved to other facilities on the high court’s orders to allow for repairs at their jail, Ghulam Qadir Thebo told AFP.
“The trouble started late Saturday when prisoners were being moved to other prisons of Sindh province. Some inmates refused to leave and clashed with police and jail staff,” Thebo said.
Some 450 prisoners remained in Larkana when a group of about 40 prisoners took two policemen and a prison worker hostage, demanding that all prisoners should return.
“We are negotiating the release of hostages,” Thebo said.
In March police killed seven inmates and wounded 20 during an operation to prevent a jail-break in a prison in the southern city of Hyderabad.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on news-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- IN BROAD DAYLIGHT: Lawyer victim of vicious attack
- D. Pedro V stages stories of “body and farewell”
- Conference on EU-Asia Pacific relationship starts today
- IC selects 5 projects for academic research grants
- More than 40,000 request gov’t healthcare vouchers
- Free telecom services for World Telecom Day
- MOP20m to upgrade bus GPS system
- Pansy Ho promotes Global Tourism Economy Forum in Macau 2013
- Macau Open prize money increases
- Petitioners call for caution over employing non-local students
- Drug abuse among youths increases significantly
- 20th anniversary of the EU-Macau trade agreement - Piket: “A more diversified economy is a more sustainable economy”
- Q1: Package tours increase by 11.8 pct
- 20 workers feel unwell after inhaling tobacco fumes
- Democratic Action collects signatures for elections