- The Lobby
- Extra Times
School soup: two dead, 41 sick
Two children died and 41 people were hospitalised in the Philippines after a teacher allegedly served a soup laced with a deadly chemical, a police official said yesterday.
The teacher had prepared a noodle soup for students and fellow teachers in the city of Tuguegarao but shortly after the meal was served students and teachers suffered dizziness and vomiting.
The stricken students and three teachers were rushed to a hospital but two five-year-old girls died while being treated.
Investigators suspect that oxalic acid, a chemical used for cleaning marble, was accidentally mixed into the soup, said the police chief Superintendent Pedro Martirez.
“This does not look intentional but she [the teacher] is under custody,” he added.
Responsible Right of Expression — In the interest of freedom of expression, coupled with a true sense of responsibility to encourage community dialogue, the Macau Daily Times offers its readers the opportunity to express their opinions on new-related matters through this website. All opinions are welcome. However, we reserve the right to remove comments that are deemed to be obscene, or are merely insults written under the cloak of anonymity. MDT
- The Rolling Stones play Macau gig March 9, tickets on sale tomorrow
- Student dropout rate decreases
- Book depicting city’s colorful history launched
- Macanese launch projects to keep memories alive
- Venetian assures “no impact” on salaries due to employment transfer
- La Scala: architect refused to give out client’s name
- Fatal work accident in Seac Pai Van
- Central hospital pediatric emergency department relocated
- “Chá Gordo” to celebrate anniversary of Costa Nunes and APIM
- MUST Rector: “Education and Technology are Macau’s strengths”
- Court declares Reolian bankrupt
- AL committee questions gov’t department budgets
- MICE revenue up 54 percent in 2012
- Docomomo requests classification of Portuguese School building
- POLICY ADDRESS – Social Affairs and Culture: Gov’t to build over 40 care homes